6/22/09

End of the Line (2007)

Release Date: 2007
Director: Maurice Devereaux
Starring: Ilona Elkin, Nicolas Wright, Neil Napier, Emily Shelton, Tim Rozon
Tagline: "The End is Coming."
Random Trivia: Premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival.

Wow. I can't begin to explain just how this movie went wrong. My high was gone by the end of the movie so the coverage of that will be a little more clear.

To start, my completely randomly baked thoughts:

- On a train. Suddenly a chick is drowning in blood after being on a train. Huh?

- So there's an Asian girl looking scared in train station - of ghosts or subway gropers? Then she sees a guy with a rotting, maggot infested face... it still could go either way. She finishes by hopping in front of the rush hour shuttle

- Ok sure fuck in the dead train car that's really creepy... good idea... that'll end well!



These eyeless guys are some sort of harbinger of the apocalypse, or something. Ghostly and scary, supposedly.

Alright well if you can't tell, End of the Line is basically a movie set in the subway. Too high to follow much of the plot but I came down quick. You have a doomsday cult killing everyone they can to "save" them from the coming apocalypse. Yeah, another one of those.



I suppose this movie has something to say about religious conservatives, cults, and the extreme right. I'm sure there's some sort of reference to the Tokyo subway attacks, or something. Maybe. It just... falls apart. It's gory, but not in a good way. It goes for realism at one turn then over the top at the next. Case in point - a beheading scene, there the sword in question doesn't quite go all the way through. Shocking. But then throw in a pregnant woman being stabbed, laid next to her dying boyfriend in an embrace, and her now-aborted child ripped from the womb and placed in her arms.

There's ways that scene could have been effective. In this case, done for shock value alone.... I didn't care. Other than to ask "what was the point of that?"

I have no idea who anyone listed in the cast even is. This made the festival rounds and actually won a few awards. A lot of people will probably find it decent. The ending adds in the mandatory horror twist, which almost negates anything the film had to say during everything up to that point.

Overall, it's not a fun B-movie, it's not good as a straight horror, and it just doesn't work.

I will throw out one positive though - it's not as bad as Hammer of the Gods.

Overall Rating: Buzzed (1 out of 5)

DiggIt!

No comments:

Post a Comment