6/7/09

Family Guy: Blue Harvest (2007)

Release Date: 2007
Director: Dominic Polcino
Starring: Seth MacFarlane, Alex Borstein, Seth Green, Mila Kunis,
Chevy Chase, Adam West, Patrick Warburton,
Tagline: None - but the "real" Blue Harvest tagline was "Horror beyond imagination."
Random Trivia: When the Millenium Falcon jumps to Hyperspace, the Doctor Who theme/intro kicks in. The face shown is that of the 4th Doctor, played in the series by Tom Baker (the oldest surviving actor to have played the Doctor). Blue Harvest was actually a fake title used on Return of the Jedi to keep fans away from an on-location shoot.

Welcome to my Blue Harvest review, muthafuckas! With new and improved embedded YouTube clips.

And what that really means is, I got bored and decided to post some YouTube clips.

George Lucas actually approved this spoof. That almost - almost - makes me want to not torture him for the abomination that was the prequel trilogy.



Family Guy has been hit and miss since it returned to air after Fox canceled it and greenlit every lame-ass "I'm a whore on an island look at me" reality TV concept. Blue Harvest marks what is probably the best "episode" since it returned. I say "episode" as I'm reviewing the DVD release, which was put out separately from the rest of the season as a 48 minute straight-to-DVD feature with scenes not in the original broadcast.

"High" Lights:

- Spot on spoof of Star Wars.

- Blue Harvest is actually pretty accurate in its critique of the film, pointing out the obvious:

* Greedo should NOT shoot first.
* Was Luke's uncle NEVER tempted to tell him the truth about his father (wasn't his uncle Jimmy Smits? - this isn't in the episode, I just realized it).
* Who the hell designs a massive space station - the fucking Death Star no less - with an area completely vulnerable to attack that would allow a single shot to destroy the entire thing?!?



* Chris as Luke: "Um, isn't a parsec a unit of distance, not time?"

And then there's the random, and just plain fucking funny:

- Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo turn up to voice Clark and Lois Griswald from the Vacation series.



- Obi-Wan played by the pedo Herbert

- Darth Stewie

- "Aren't you a little fat to be a storm trooper?"

- Herbert's light saber is limp



- Meg is that muck-monster in the garbage compactor

- The Cantina band calls for requests - "Play that same song!"



- Pothead references a'plenty!

- The Doctor Who scene is trippy and made me smile



- Danny Elfman really does ruin everything. For reference, see the horrid score to Terminator: Salvation. Way to fuck something up when half the work is already done for you!

- "You still got that bag I gave you?"



My only complaints are this: Herbert is awesome in small doses, and I have no problem with twisted humour. I'm probably going to hell. But the "I'm having the Time of My Life" musical number was too fucking long. Ol' Herb's boy-luvin' ass needs to be kept to short scenes and quick jokes or he gets tiresome.

That, and they used Rush Limbaugh for a gag. Fuck that fat fuck. Yup, that's well-crafted criticism, I know.

Spaceballs also deserves a mention at this point - as does the oft forgotten Hardware Wars (yes I've seen it), from back in 1977, and the Robot Chicken spoof - kindly pointed out at the end of the episode.

Hardware Wars:



I simply cannot wait for the Empire Strikes Back spoof, entitled "Something Something Something Dark Side." Oh, and Bobba Fett is played by the fucking Chicken!

Overall rating: 3/4 Baked (4 out of 5)


DiggIt!

No comments:

Post a Comment