6/19/09

Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)

Release Date: 2008
Director: Darren Lynn Bousman
Starring: Anthony Stewart Head, Paris Hilton, Alexa Vega, Paul Sorvino, Sarah Brightman
Tagline: "Not Your Parent's Opera."
Random Trivia: Was originally a stage play. Paris Hilton brought some of her own costumes to the set.

I'm fucking BAKED for this. Need any more information? Well, I'm typing my notes on the PC rather than my usual pen and paper notation whilst watching this, and it's not pretty.



I think we have a plot. There's widespread disease. Genco or whatever they're called (genetics company) starts a program where you get all sorts of procedures and transplants - but if you can't pay, beware the repo process...

From the Notes of the Baked Reviewer:

- Cool animated intro, comic book style

- You can tell straight off, from the opening song, that the producers/director et al were really trying for a modern Rocky Horror Picture Show. They might have missed the mark but so far, so good...



- Anthony Stewart Head! Someone who can act AND sing... the first to appear thus far in this movie. His daughter's fucking annoying though (on-screen daughter. I'm sure if he actually has a daughter, she's a peach. Speaking of peaches... mmm... peaches...).

- Ok as time goes on I'm liking the daughter more

- Nathan's (Head) backstory is done comic style, showing his attempt to cure his ailing wife and the agonizing choice to sacrifice her for his unborn daughter.

- Music is a bit weak. That's not a good sign in a musical. Head's singing is still best in the movie thus far. He's put out a CD in the past and was awesome in the Buffy musical episode.

- Atmosphere is cool, music needs some work.

- "My brother and sister should fuck" was seriously a lyric just now.

- So Nathan keeps daughter Shilo secret, continuing her treatment. At 17, things get out of hand, she meets Blind Mag (Sarah Brightman), who is at the mercy of the Repo Man (I think), who will take her eyes.



At this point I'm having serious trouble following the plot. There's some awesome fetish wear and chicks on screen so the film is keeping my attention at least. I'm just kinda staring at it.

More Notes:

- Rotti (Paul Sorvino) is after Shilo, and lures her with a promised cure



- GeneCo is repairing all sorts of defects

- Paris plays Emma Sweet, cannot fucking sing and gets booed off the stage. I didn't realize this was a documentary...

- Rotti claims Nathan has spiked Shilo's medicine

- SPOILER!!! Nathan (Head) dies in a pool of blood in his daugher's arms. Cool scene.

- Turns out he was a repo man

- Shilo isn't a bad singer after all

Don't let my confuzzled notes fool you - I'm actually suggesting that any pothead grab this movie, throw it on, and relax. It's the zany kind of weird that makes it a pretty decent pothead experience. As a movie, it's a pale shadow of Rocky Horror, but it's far from horrible - or perhaps it's just so horrible that it's entertaining.

Overall Rating: Half-Baked (3 out of 5)

DiggIt!

1 comment:

  1. For an opera singer Sarah Brightman is very hot. Unless this is a different Sarah Brightman then I might have to take that back since I have not seen the movie nor ever will.

    ReplyDelete